But maybe you are not ready to let go of your summer. Or maybe you need a reset button. Maybe you need to loosen up the old noodle. Maybe, like a python around a tree, you need to wrap your head around some fantastical ideas and break loose the thoughts that calcified over the summer.
My solution for you is……….classic Science Fiction.
Hold on! Don’t leave yet. Hear me out. Most classic science fiction books were written in the 50’s and 60’s. I lost you again, didn’t I? Trust me, this is a good thing. Science fiction was a new frontier (pardon the pun). These ideas were so ahead of their time that they still read true and do not feel dated. Future worlds and strange alien concepts will release your mind and will keep you from getting too bogged down in your course work. Also, if you are afraid your eyes will fall out if you read anything else, audio versions are readily available.
- Orson Scott Card Ender’s Game [S1]
- Isaac Asimov Foundation [S1-3]
- George Orwell 1984
- Robert A. Heinlein Stranger in a Strange Land
- Douglas Adams Hitch-Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy [S1]
- Ray Bradbury Fahrenheit 451
- Frank Herbert Dune [S1]
- Philip K. Dick Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
- Alfred Bester The Stars My Destination
- Dan Simmons Hyperion [S1]
I hope that you have taken the time to grok my words. Grab your towel and Jaunt/ride Shai-Hulud to your nearest book store. Psycho-historians predict that you must. Big Brother is watching…